Sunday, February 3, 2019

Update Agatha Christie?

I don't think so!

OK, I know that in lots of the movie or TV adaptations of Agatha Christie mysteries slight and subtle changes have been made to engage a modern audience a little more fully. I live with that.

But this? No. A three part series of The A B C Murders was on Amazon Prime last night.

It had a good cast: Rupert Grint who has matured into older roles since his Harry Potter days. John Malkovich as Poirot was the wrong casting of a good actor in a good role that was entirely wrong for him. He just wasn't Poirot.

They tried to make Poirot into someone he is not. Were they trying to add mystery to the mystery? I don't know. To give him a history beyond a Belgium detective who fled his country during WWI is just not Christie and gives the story a weird turn.

The basic plot line was the same but they tried to ~ what? ~ modernize it? to make it more interesting to today's audience? Throw in a touch of sadomasochism? OK. And it's just not Christie.

I guess I am spoiled. I have read the books over and over. I have the dvd's and watch over and over the David Suchet Poirots (and the Joan Hickson Miss Marples). I know these stories. I know these characters. I like them the way they are. Don't mess with the Queen of Crime Writers.

And for goodness sake, if you are going to mess with the story line, at least make it interesting and worth watching instead of dull and slow and boring. Sigh.

No comments: