Tuesday, February 12, 2019

The Naked Archeologist

I'm recommending The Naked Archeologist on Amazon Prime. The show's premise is that Biblical archeology (defined I think as that done in and around Jerusalem and other sites in Israel) can confirm the truth of Biblical stories like the destruction of the Temple, the end to the siege of Jerusalem by the Assyrians, and other historical references. There is also much discussion of why professional archeologists discredit finds by amateurs. The Dead Sea Scrolls, for instance, found by a Bedouin shepherd following his goat, were disparaged for ten years as being fake.

I am finding this series fascinating. The science is discussed in a way that is understandable. The artifacts are amazing. Some of the finds are from two to three thousand years ago.

If you have Amazon Prime and are interested in ancient history, give this series a try.

3 comments:

MikeC said...

Thank you for this! It's right up my alley. And it looks to me like ideal recovering-from-surgery viewing material. I've added Season 1 to my Watchlist.

Tahoe Mom said...

It's very light and easy as well as mentally stimulating. I've gotten far enough into it that he is dealing with some New Testament stories as well. I think you will enjoy it. Have a comfortable and quick recovery.

MikeC said...

Thank you! Surgery is scheduled for Wednesday. We’ll see if hospital WiFi is sufficient to stream video or if this will need to wait until I get home. Looking forward to it either way.