Saturday, December 24, 2016

The Birth of a Baby

I was born in 1943 in the middle of WWII. Sometime when I was in my late teens, my mother and I were going through an old scrapbook of hers and came across some V-mail. I had no idea what it was. They were letters written from the European front that had been reduced to tiny little pieces of paper to save space on the transports back to the states. Some of those letters were written to my parents at the time of my birth.

Those letters spoke of the hope that hearing of my birth had brought those men in the European trenches. Birth brings hope. Birth is Hope. Hope for the future. Hope beyond the muck and mire of the present moment. Hope and the Knowledge that Light does indeed overcome the darkness and Love does and will prevail.

My birth brought hope. Your birth brought hope. Hope arrives anew with every birth in every home, hospital or refuge camp where it occurs. And if ordinary births bring hope then tonight of all nights, we need to celebrate again the Hope ~ and the Light and Love that arrives in our hearts as in that stable long ago. Blessings to you all as you celebrate the arrival of Hope in your lives.

No comments: