Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What Does "Aging" Mean?

== Saw an article about talking gently to aging parents about lifestyle changes. I’m thinking, well, we are getting to that point - being aging parents - so I wonder what they suggest the kids talk to us about. Then I read the article. It was talking about people Our age dealing with parents in their late 80s and 90s!


So maybe we aren’t on the aging list yet after all. However, our parents are dead and so we are the older generation in our family. We have also watched our parents make hard decisions about their lives and do it well and with grace. So maybe when the time comes for those conversations in our family, our children will not have such a rough time of it.


We also have our own conversations about what will keep us in our home the longest if we stay healthy and well. People who visit us laugh about the number of stairs we have to climb and they usually say something about those stairs keeping us fit and moving. Dean loves to hike, snowshoe, and ski. I hike, snowshoe and go to the gym. We eat “reasonably” well because we do enjoy our red meat, cheese and ice cream ~ just not as often as we used to. So far so good.


What I would like would be for our children to be able to agree with our decisions about our lives and that we make those with grace and agility while we are able to do so. If I can just remember that wish when I am in my 90s, all will be well.

No comments: