Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Too Early

No coward soul is mine,
No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere:
I see Heaven's glories shine,
And faith shines equal, arming me from fear. (Emily Bronte)

Interesting to find this particular verse in the Writers’ Almanac this morning. I am not sure I felt this spiritual about it at 5:20 this morning when I woke to the unmistakable sounds of an ursine intruder. Whatever I felt, I was out of bed, found my pan and spoon even in a still dark bathroom and went banging away. He had done exactly what I had thought last time. He had gotten his shoulder under the window, the window was Wide open and he was half way in. He looked bigger than ever ~ and bless him, he still doesn’t like the banging. So he backed out and headed off. Once he was definitely going, I ran out on the deck and continued banging away. May have waked the neighbors. Know I woke Dean. Too bad. I refuse to have a bear in my kitchen regardless of the hour. And true to the poem, it wasn’t fear I felt. Adrenaline was flowing of course. Mainly I was just pissed at being awakened and intruded upon.

No comments: