Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Sunny Day in San Francisco

What an amazing day!! After a late breakfast with Mike and Dean, I headed out. I stopped at Starbucks for a chai latte and cheese danish and a little more reading, actually finishing my book. Then I headed on down the street to the Apple Store. Made it in plenty of time for my one o’clock session.


I told Patrick my problem with the picture being corrupted and he had me show him the notice. Then we went to work searching for the original which he said was stored somewhere on my computer. We found it after some doing around. He said my problem was really rare and he almost apologized for having to teach me how to deal with it when he wasn’t sure I would ever have to deal with it again. The neat thing was, he knew what to do and we did it and I finished my book for Trinity and Akira. I was waiting for him to answer a couple more questions when Nick stopped by and said “You came back” ~ I told him why and that I had a couple of more questions and then would start another project. He answered those questions for me and then Dean showed up ~ he was done early and so I told Nick and Patrick good-bye, thanked them profusely and came out to have a sunny afternoon date in San Francisco with my husband. :D


We came back to the hotel just as the maid reached our room so we took our book and computer to the Library on the 11th floor and sat in Huge leather chairs in front of a fire. I read and Dean did stuff on the computer for about an hour. We came back to the room, rested a bit and then went upstairs to the hotel’s complimentary happy hour. Delightful. Beautiful view. Nice piano music. And when I hesitated about what to drink, our server said they had virgin drinks and in the process of listing she suggested a virgin Mai Tai. It was Delicious: oj, pineapple juice and Grenadine. She put in a splash of soda - not even noticeable to me in the first one, more so in the second. Now I know to order it made with the juices, not the mix. Made at home with mint it would be yummy too. :)

Dean says this was very much old time military officers’ club atmosphere. I was very aware of the difference in the women and me. They were officers’ wives - they were all very, very neat ~ no sneakers for them. Many of the men were in suits and ties. Of course there was one in a sweat shirt - but his wife was carrying on the tradition.


Afterwards we took a Cable Car!!! - first time ever for me - to Fisherman’s Wharf and had dinner at Scoma’s. Delicious sea food. Dean had a prawn cocktail and I have never tasted such tender, sweet prawns. He had grilled king salmon and I had grilled Alaskan halibut. Oh my -- my culinary vocabulary is being taxed to the limit this trip. We have eaten well: Italian, Irish, Asian, Wharf-side seafood and for lunch one day I had Greek and Dean had Indian. We walked around the wharf, going down to Pier 39 which Dean said he remembered as a pier. Now it is almost a mall although the stores are separate and you are still outside over the water.


Dessert was ice cream from a shop on the pier and then back to the cable car. We saw them turn it around -- and they do that By Hand - well more by sheer physical force except that the machinery is well-oiled and works beautifully so pushing it around is relatively easy considering what they are doing. I wouldn’t want to do it though.


Back up and down the hills we came to the hotel. What a delightful, delightful afternoon and evening with my honey. Dean actually planned it this way knowing he would be done early in the day and we leave tomorrow so that we had some time to do just a little of San Francisco together. Very nice indeed.

No comments: