Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Granddaughter's First Pie


Grandson had requested a quiche. And to give the Mama Susan credit, I do make a Delicious quiche. Anyway - I was making him one and because I was using a deep dish pie pan, I had doubled the crust recipe thereby having dough left over. Granddaughter was helping me in the kitchen and when she saw the left-over dough asked if she could make her very first pie.

Honestly, my insides grabbed up some. I have lots of talents and I do not negate them. I am even a Very Good cook if I follow the recipe and have time to move through it. I pale a little at the thought of helping a grandchild make a pie. So - I took a deep breath, thought "why not?" and said, Sure. As soon as the quiche is in the oven we will make a pie.

She rolled out the dough. Smoothed out the cracks so the filling wouldn't leak underneath. Tucked in the edges as best she could. I searched the cabinets and found a can of peaches which we used as filling. Voila! Her very first pie. I have promised to help her learn to make crust on her own later. Of course my way to this day - even after 50 years of pie making - is to pull up my Betty Crocker pie crust recipe and follow it to the letter. Hey, it works. And as Dean pointed out ~ making your very first pie is one of the things you are supposed to do at Grandma's house. :D

No comments: