Friday, April 8, 2011

Blogging Books


So I’ve been thinking about all the books I read. There are blogs about all sorts of books: mysteries, romance, etc. I was reading a blog the other day that had books the writer had recently read listed on the side of her blog. I liked that. Then I thought about the books I read. Mostly mysteries. And I don’t want to write a blog about mysteries. I tend to stay in a very small part of that genre and I reread a lot. Plus, I don’t read Just mysteries. I enjoy all sorts of books. So I think I have decided to write a blog once in a while about some books that I have particularly enjoyed over the years. And why not start with books I read as a child? One of the nice things about doing it this way ~ I don’t have to be up to date. Yes, these are children’s books, just not necessarily new ones. I have read them, some times over and over, and loved them. So here we go.


Wait ‘Til the Moon is Full by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Garth Williams. For all my life, I have known the sliver of a new moon is “thin as the curve of a raccoon’s whisker.” I still have this book from my childhood though I have bought it new for almost all my grands over the years.


Winnie the Pooh (story books and poetry books) by A. A. Milne. These were the books that I wanted read to me again and again if I was sick or unable to read them for myself for some reason. Even when I had mono as a teenager, I brought the Pooh books to my bedside and read them when I had the energy.


Every single one of the Dr. Seuss books - whether read by me as a child or read to my children.


Zen Shorts by Jon J Muth. This is a rather new book that I found one year for my grandchildren at Christmas. It teaches several very important lessons in a very gentle and loving way. And I really like Stillwater, the Panda, teacher and sharer of wisdom. The book cover is for a later book purchased last October for Halloween for grandchildren and to have here at the house.


I know that parents can download all sorts of interactive books onto their iPads and Kindles for their kids to read. And I am just old enough and old fashioned enough to believe that holding a child in your lap and reading them a book you love is wonderfully interactive. These are ones among many others that I choose to have in my home still and available for the grands when they are here. ~ enjoy your reading and the next book blog will be along soon.



1 comment:

Chris Howell said...

What a nice post! I can remember my favorite book as a kid - The Mitten. It starts with a little mouse climbing into a stray mitten to stay warm. Then one by one he is joined by other animal friends until the mitten finally splits. Even as a child I knew that there was a logic problem with a bear climbing into a mitten...but I loved the cozy idea! Thanks T-mom!