Friday, July 9, 2010

Tahoe Mom the Medic

Grandson and Grandpa were moving rocks. Grandson got a finger caught between two of them. A little cut on the end of a finger can bleed something awful. And Hurt. Like. Hell.

So Tahoe Mom (aka Mama Susan) went to work. Grandson is smart and started irrigating it under cold water. I finally got it bandaged about the time he Knew he had to lie down or fall down so we got him on the window seat. Hand elevated. Ice. Face as white as his T-shirt.

Slowly, slowly the color returned. His breathing slowed - so did mine. I sat on the other end of the window seat. We were both glad his mom said she would come get him. They went to the ER where he got two stitches, had the hemotoma from under his nail drained -- and was told not to swim or lift heavy things until the stitches were out. He can however keep sanding and painting on the neighbor's deck so I expect him back soon. First though he has to let his little sister mother him for a day. Absolutely essential to the healing process, right?

I was so glad to have been a camp counselor all those years ago. That's where I learned to look at the blood and know I Had To Deal. The first time it happened, my great big strong co-counselor just disappeared. Just went away. After that I knew it was up to me whenever and wherever I was faced with an injury. Of course I am not talking Major trauma - and it is not fun to watch your grandson bleed. All is well - he will be back to work soon. I know I can still handle it. ~ may you be blessed with the ability to handle whatever comes your way

No comments: