Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sunday morning thoughts

I am thinking about Lazarus this morning. What happened to him?

He appears in scripture out of no where - noted as the brother of Mary and Martha and then when he dies as a really good friend of Jesus. Then - Miracle! Jesus brings him back from the dead. Says, "rise and walk" and he Does!! And then -- nothing. We never hear from or about him again.

Is it as simple as the writers were telling Jesus' story and so what mattered was the miracle? It is true that once Jesus passes from someone's life, we hear no more about them. We keep following him. On the other hand, Lazarus wasn't just "someone" - he died and was brought back to life.

Can we hear the Gospel writer? "I just wrote the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. What happened to him?"
"Who?"
"Lazarus. Do you know?"
"Hmmm - I think I heard he married Deborah, the Innkeepers daughter -- no wait, it was Joanna the potter's daughter. I think they have a couple of kids."
"Know what Lazarus is doing these days?"
"No -- although Micah did say not long ago that he thought Lazarus was keeping an inn. I just don't know for sure."
"OK - thanks. I need to get back to writing. His being raised is all I really need to know about him anyway."

OK, I have expostulated from one event in scripture to a whole life time. And yet, he did live a lifetime. Did the miracle effect him? Did he always think, I was dead and now I am alive. People who are revived these days with medical technology tell of being very aware of their second chance. Did it make a difference in who he was, what he chose to do? Did he become an active disciple of the man who raised him? We Just Don't Know.

And that may be good. We can think about it with no judgment. Lazarus' response to a second life can be whatever we want it to be. We might tend to judge a friend today - or ourselves if that should happen to us - a second chance? They/I "should", "ought" -- with Lazarus we can create his story in the way we would like it to be. Which we can also do to our own stories ~ and so be blessed in the creation of your story whatever it is

No comments: