Tuesday, October 6, 2009

About Books

What book first inspired you to read?

Example: for me it was "Mary Poppins". I was already a reader. My parents saw to that. It was just something I did and did well. My third grade year in Texas was Hot. So after lunch our teacher would take us outside under a tree (no AC in the building) and read to us. One of the books she read was "Mary Poppins".

That book opened to me the magic of books. All sorts of books. If I read, I could go anywhere, be anybody, magic or historical. Stories were everywhere once I knew what a book could offer. What about you? What book opened that world to you? ~ with blessings

2 comments:

MikeC said...

Can't give you the name of the book. But I remember the turning point. I had just gotten my library card and was tearing through the "thin" books - the Dr. Seuss-length ones. My mother was getting tired of taking me to the library all the time, so she pointed me to the older kid's part of the children's section, with the novel-length books.

I remember "Wind in the Willows," though I don't think that was the first. Then there was the Eleanor Cameron "Mushroom Planet" books, which I loved.

In any case, been reading ever since.

Tahoe Mom said...

Remember the early Peanuts cartoon when Linus got his first library card? He was Amazed he could actually walk in and borrow books. :D