Sunday, March 29, 2009

Great Questions


A friend sent this link and questions the other day. I have seen them before ~ and as they came in the same download as the Earth Hour information, I thought they were worth passing along as well - and again. The website is www.care2.com/greenliving/get-on-board-the-non-consumption-train.html.

1. Is this purchase something I need?
2. Do I already own something that will serve the same purpose.
3. Can I borrow one instead of buying new?
4. Can I make something that will serve the same purpose?
5. Can I buy a used one?
6. Can I buy or commission one made locally?
7. Can I buy one made with environmentally responsible materials?
8. Can I buy one that serves more than one purpose.
9. Can I get something human powered instead of gas or electric?
10. Can I compost or recycle it when I am done with it?
11. What is the impact of the environment of the full life cycle of it?
12. Does the manufacture or disposal of it damage the environment? 

Good questions to be asking before we buy. The website suggests printing the list out on used card stock and putting it in your wallet so it is always there. Sounds like it would also slow down the impulse buying. Well thought out ~ with blessings

No comments: