Friday, January 30, 2009

Following Tessie's Nose


Disclaimer: I am not a tracker, a hunter, nor a student of the forest. I do love walking through it. In the summer Tessie (brown lab mix) takes off through the woods, nose to the ground, following who knows what. In the winter with the snow on the ground, we know! It is fun to see with our eyes what Tessie "sees" with her nose the year 'round.
Here are the indications that we are walking through someone else's habitat.


I believe this was some sort of bird - small enough - and if that is a tail track then I am not sure. Pretty and went for a long way.



I believe this is a rabbit


And this is probably a raccoon - notice the opposable thumbs.

and her teenaged cubs were in the parking lot. Dog next door 
treed the cubs - well mama probably told them to get up the tree. 
She stayed on the ground and stood guard. 
This footprint belongs to one of the cubs. Mom's prints are larger.

No comments: