Sunday, January 7, 2018

A Personal Story Worth Telling

This afternoon after a Costco run, we had ordered our lunch at In & Out. I took my tea to a table in the corner and as I turned to head for the restroom, the grandfather at the next table was giving his granddaughter one of those little copies of the Declaration and Constitution. My guess is she was 11 to 13 - hard to tell these days. 

I leaned in, touched her shoulder and said, “You have just been given an incredible gift. An incredible gift.” She smiled and said thank you and I left for the restroom. When I got back to the table the grandparents were still there talking to Dean (who could hardly hear a thing in a busy In & Out on Sunday.) They were So excited. They thanked me over and over. The grandfather - had to have been the girl’s maternal grandfather - talked about “her father thinks he knows everything and if you don’t believe him just ask him”. Grandfather hopes father doesn’t throw the little book away. 

I am hoping that because a stranger told her it was an incredible gift, she will think it is special enough to make sure she keeps it. 

The whole episode warms my heart and I am so pleased I said something. Oh, and as the grandparents were leaving, grandmother said, “Have a happy new year.” 😀

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Very nice story this is thank you for sharing this. Keep writing some more like this.

Tahoe Mom said...

Kathryn, thank you! I hope today's blog is one that fits your desire for "more like this."