Sunday, January 21, 2018

A Divided Self

As many of you know I was supposed to travel to Texas last week to my step-brother’s funeral. In spite of the sadness of the occasion, I was looking forward to seeing that side of my family that I had not seen since our mother’s funeral 13 years ago. I had an early flight and weather in Tahoe was to be snowy (which it wasn’t) so I spent Monday night at an airport hotel in Reno. I spent the night being sick and by 4 am, I cancelled my flight and stayed in bed until Dean came for me at noon. 

While I slept and lay there, I was very aware I was supposed to be on a plane. By the time I was home, I was very aware of my friend and her house and what our conversation that afternoon and evening would have been. 

Wednesday, again a day in bed, I kept thinking about my friend and my family and what it was like to be gathering, visiting, sharing. 

Thursday was the service itself and although I got out of bed and bathed and dressed, I just sat around rather sad and depressed and was with the family, thinking about them and loving them and wondering about the service. My step-sister and her daughters were planning lunch for the family and, knowing these women, I know it was amazing. She may have just pulled together food at the house (there is always lots of food brought to the house at a Southern funeral) or maybe she had it catered. Whatever she decided, be assured it was casually elegant and perfectly planned and of course delicious. 

Friday morning about 3 o’clock, I woke with the realization that I was well. As I was supposed to be spending the afternoon and evening with more good friends, I thought about them a lot and all the things we would have talked about and shared together.

As I woke on Saturday morning, I knew I was on the plane. About noon my emotional self popped back into my physical self and I was home. 


It was an interesting experience. Usually I am very present in the moment wherever I am and whatever I am doing. Last week I was definitely a divided person, physically existing in my normal environment and still very present in a distant place. It’s good to be one again. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...


كشف تسربات المياه بالقصيم




شركة كشف تسربات المياه بجدة

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بمكة

Kayle Keig said...

Magnumax A good body nutrition diet for all your body builders is what will help discover out just how successful you will be around your program. Its very important to are aware of that without the proper nutrition the body certainly will not change for greater and it will never get you anywhere towards meeting objectives. http://jackedmuscleextremeadvice.com/magnumax/