Sunday, December 10, 2017

The Second Sunday in Advent


The lectionary this week deals with preparing the way of God and receiving comfort from that good news. As David Edwards points out in his commentary, “in Hebrew the word ‘comfort’ as used here means both consolation and bringing real help.”

This week in this country we have debated, railed for and against tax cut that some are applauding, others are decrying. Is this “real help”? One of the questions raised is how children will fare under the new laws and cuts of other provisions. Marian Wright Edelman in her book Guide My Feet, published in 1995, writes from the point of view of children. I would include LGTBQ children in the last line, otherwise, her words are very applicable today as we await real help at this Advent. 

God, is America’s dream big enough for me?
For the little Black boy born the wrong color in the wrong place
to the wrong parents in some folks’ sight/

God, is America’s justice fair enough for me?
For the little Brown or White girl labelled from birth as second best?

God, is America’s economy open to us?
For the many children who have to stay poor on the bottom so too few
can stay rich on the top/

God, does America have enough for me in the a land plenty for some,
but famine for others?

God, is America’s dream large enough for me?
I who am poor, average, disabled, girl, Black, Brown, Native American, White?


Is America for me?

No comments: