Saturday, December 23, 2017

Philadelphia Food II

The second day of Food in Philadelphia started with lunch at The Dandelion. When Meredith first told me about the place, she indicated they loved it but we would go there for dessert having eaten lunch somewhere else because this was 'just a British pub'. As she said later, "The things you learn about your parents!" I love pub food and having had a look on line at this menu, I was ready to go. 



 We started with deviled eggs. So good. Not sure exactly what was in them
besides the good dry mustard but something to kick up the flavor just a bit. 
I also think the paprika was fresh ground.

David had a burger and their signature fries (sorry, chips ~ although 
the woman next to me had a sandwich with what we call chips and
they looked homemade too!)

Meredith and I had butternut squash and cheese soup and a side of chips.


Although full from his burger, David was glad to order Sticky Toffee Pudding 
a classic British dessert that I have never had. We all decided the ice cream
was superfluous. It was rich and full of cloves. The pudding was moist and spicy.
I liked my taste of Sticky Toffee Pudding.

My speciality was Mrs. Beeton's Snow Egg. 
If you don't know her, let me introduce you to Mrs. Beeton. 
She wrote her cookbooks in the mid-1800s for the housewives and
housekeepers of a new culture. First she wrote for Housekeepers who 
were managing staff that had no history of keeping a big house. They had
not started as a tweeny and grown to be a cook or Housekeeper. So Mrs. Beeton
wrote a house management and cookbook for them. 
By her later editions, the housewife had become the housekeeper and manager
of the household. Her cookbooks covered everything from laying the table 
to the food placed on it.
The Snow Egg is a poached meringue covered in custard. With a bow to the
season the custard was an egg nog. Light, airy, not too sweet and Delicious!



2 comments:

MikeC said...

Terry and I just had a really nice (and filling) dinner but this is making me hungry!

Tahoe Mom said...

I know the feeling. LOL!