Friday, November 24, 2017

The Morning After

First let me say for those of you who joined in the dressing recipe discussion: the cornbread half of my dressing was delicious. I made the cornbread with masa flour and left off the white bread - gluten free for Dean and a small portion for just the two of us. Otherwise the recipe was the same. I did add lots of broth to make sure it was very moist, which it was. And of course gravy. Very tasty!

One day before Thanksgiving I had been skimming the news on my phone and saw recipes for using Thanksgiving leftovers for breakfast. The easiest was eggs in dressing. So this morning, I made it.


Very simple. Spray your muffin pan. Press dressing into the muffin cups. Add some cheese on the bottom. Break in a small egg. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 375*. The recipe suggests you can add bacon on the bottom but I just put it on the side. Delicious. 

Learnings: 1) a larger muffin cup might be better giving more room for the egg and whatever else you add (cheese, bacon, whatever)
2) Dean and I prefer the poached egg and I think you might use a beaten egg with the cheese and herbs and bacon scrambled in like a quiche
3) if your dressing is moist, you could add other breakfast ingredients as you mold it into the cup. 

I was surprised at how light it was. I had eaten a Lot of carbs yesterday - most of them good carbs but lots. I wasn't sure I could eat any more especially this early on the morning after. It was light and tasty and I do not feel overly full to start my day. If you have a houseful of people (or just the two of you) for the holiday and want an easy breakfast to help use up your leftovers, I highly recommend this one.

No comments: