Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Thanksgiving, 2017

Today I am thankful for simplicity. I love a big family gathering. I have been a guest and a host to numerous Thanksgiving dinners that included family and friends, a huge turkey, pans of dressings, bowls of gravy and enough food to feed us all for days. I loved it all. 

On the other hand, if you asked me what Thanksgiving is my most memorable, I will tell you of a time when both daughters were gone from home, I preached at the interfaith Thanksgiving service and then we came home to steak and Caesar salad. 

This will be another one of those years. We were invited and were unable to travel that far. We invited and they couldn’t travel that far or already had plans. And so tomorrow it is just us. Dean wanted to smoke a turkey so the meal will be rather traditional, just made in smaller portions than usual. I’m experimenting with dressing made with just the cornbread; one baked sweet potato shared between us; and no given time to indulge in our feast. We will eat when the food is ready. I may set an elaborate table. I may not. Dean may take his plate to the tv to watch football and I will enjoy a new book I have just now ordered on Kindle. 

Throughout it all, we will be grateful. Grateful for the love surrounding us from distant family and friends. Grateful for life and health and energy. Grateful for simplicity. 


May your Thanksgiving be as simple or as noisy and boisterous as you desire and may you be grateful for all your blessings. Thank you for stopping by and sharing time with me here. I am grateful for you too. 

No comments: