Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Essential Scarf

When Meredith lived in Boston and I would visit, she would tell me scarf stories and wore one all the time and I noticed people wearing them regardless of the time of year. Last year in San Francisco, I noticed the same thing: people wear scarves all the time. Witness, the person in flip flops, shorts, a tank top and a scarf around the neck. I was really chilly one day and stopped on my several blocks walk and bought a scarf. Had the salesclerk cut off the tag, wrapped it around my neck and was happy and warm again. When my friend from Wales was shopping here this summer, I bought another scarf with lots of my colors in it. 



I had not worn it, but for some reason tossed it in the suitcase as we headed north to Seattle, Friday Harbor and Victoria ~ and to the sea which is what these places have in common with Boston and San Francisco. It served me well. It kept my neck warm. It dressed me up as I had brought no jewelry. It was perfect with casual and a bit more dressy. And it went with every color I had with me. This morning, back in Tahoe, I threw the other one around my neck to head for the farmers’ market. I think I am sold. A scarf has become an essential wardrobe item for me. My collection increases. 


No comments: