Sunday, October 28, 2012

Elephant in the Room


In my last blog, I expressed my opinion on all the adjectives that have been used to describe “rape” throughout this presidential campaign. As you can read there, I do not believe it has an adjective. It stands alone as a crime, committed by a criminal, period. I link my blog to Facebook. There several women “liked” what I had to say and a couple commented in support. On the blog site one man commented in support. When he did, with an emphatic “Yes”, I replied with my thanks as he was the first man to say anything. 

If even one other man had checked “like” or commented, then I wouldn’t be writing this blog. But when he stayed the Only man, his comment became the elephant in the room. Where were the other male voices clicking “like” or speaking out on this issue. Oh, I know, the political comments are so crazy that we are tempted to ignore them and pass them over and just shake our heads. But you see, just because the election is over, just because a person who also believes rape is a crime wins, these ideas about women and rape are Still in the Minds of the men who said it in the first place, Their ideas don’t go away. They are out there, raising daughters, living with wives, interacting with women in Congress or the Senate or in the law office or school room. 

So ~ male friends o’ mine, readers of the blog, check “like” or comment or in some way make it known that you too believe that rape is a crime and only the criminal, not the victim, should be punished. Thank you, dear ones. I know you are out there. 

3 comments:

MikeC said...

And if my comment on your previous post was as short as it could possibly be, it's because there was nothing else to say. You said it all and said it well.

AppsRus said...

And indeed we are. Just not always reading your blog daily....

This whole political mess around women has been disgusting.

Tahoe Mom said...

I understand, Mike ~ and agree

AppsRus ~ it has been indeed. Blessings during this storm as well as the end of this political season.