Tuesday, October 2, 2012

High Tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria

When he knew we were going to Victoria, BC, Canada, Canadian son-in-law, David, said that High Tea at the Empress was the high tea by which he judges all others. So - given that recommendation, I had to go, right? Plus several other people recommended it as well. Knowing the meal that high tea can be, I chose to use it as lunch and so made my reservation for 12 noon just as the tea room opened. The following is as close to sharing the experience as I can be. 



The Empress Hotel


Place setting with Empress Royal Doulton


The menu was set. It started with a fruit of the season with creme fraise


The three-tiered tea tray. 
Bottom layer: sandwiches ~ sun-dried tomato on tiny rounds of crusty bread; chicken curry on brown bread; smoked salmon and cream cheese on wheat bread; egg salad on a tiny croissant; and of course, cucumber and ham on an herb bread. 


Friend Carolyn and the other side of the tray. The center layer held 2 scones, creme fraise and strawberry jam. 


The top layer held the pastries. Lemon curd with meringue; 


a light, whipped cheese cake on top of a light dough with fruit;


pistachio and chocolate cake with a strawberry icing;


mocha filled cookies dipped in dark chocolate. 
Carolyn and I had a delightful two hours, talking, tasting and drinking tea. She chose a specialty decaf tea and I had the Empress blend with cream. Thank you, David and all who have been there before me. It was a memorable experience! 

1 comment:

AppsRus said...

Wow! I will remember this ...