Friday, July 20, 2012

What do I do?


I feel a blog coming on. When did “journal” become a verb? When I started writing one and in one about 36 years ago, I wrote in a journal. I did not “journal”. When I am writing, I am writing, not “journaling”. I wrote a journal for years it seems before it became the thing to do and suddenly everyone was doing it or advocating it. And the one day there it was ~ someone talking about the benefits of journaling. I guess I shouldn’t complain. I know language changes and grows and develops. If it didn’t we would still be speaking Anglo-Saxon English. I should be pleased that the world now believes in and advocates a habit I developed all on my own at an early age. May the world forgive me though if I continue to write in my journal rather than journal. Or maybe I could just slip into the common vernacular and continue to journal away. The important thing after all is to get the words and thoughts out of my head and into the computer or onto the paper so that they help me organize and bring meaning to my life and ideas. And that’s what I wrote in my journal this morning. 

2 comments:

MikeC said...

It goes back to at least 1990, when we talked about that in the church I was in. What really annoyed me was when people would say "journalizing," which is an accounting term and does not relate to writing in a journal. As for me, I'm a blogger and I blog. Sorry, Tahoe Mom. :-)

Tahoe Mom said...

Interesting because I am a blogger ergo I blog too. I guess blog was such a new word that it came on the scene as a noun and a verb at the same time. Maybe the time before it became a verb was what made to journal seem so odd. And yes, it does go back to the 90's or even earlier. This is not the first time I have asked that question.