Saturday, July 7, 2012

"I'm Reviewing the Situation"

When you work in theatre and on a show together, you can develop close personal friendships of the very best kinds. No matter age nor anything else, when you all work toward the same goal ~ a good opening night and a good run ~ you create a bond. 

When I became director of drama at job Fredonia (NY) High School back in the 70s, I had an amazing 5 year run with a group of Very Talented students. I often told them that we may be just high school theatre but we are damn good high school theatre. About a year ago I got a message on FB - are you the Susan Mix who taught drama at Fredonia High in the 70s? I am. They came out of the woodwork. Daily for several weeks I received friend requests. They all had delightful stories to relate. And many of them are still in theatre if only by helping out with their own children's high school productions. I grinned for a month.

My first production was Sound of Music, followed the next year by Oliver. Doug Arnold was one of the Von Trapp children in the first and The Artful Dodger in the second. July 5th, he had a major heart attack and died. 51 years old. Father and husband who was So Proud of his performing daughter and his wife who had had an amazing interview and gotten a job that would increase the family finances even though they would have to move. And now he is gone ~ and I am taking it hard. It is rather like one of my children dying first -- this is not the way the world is supposed to work. 
Although too close to their age to be a parent, these were my children. My own children looked up to these older high school students with awe. We were family. We grew together. They were so good that I stretched to find work they could do. I became better with each show I directed. Oh, I remember too well the one really major flop ~ and that's life and we all recovered and went on to more success. And then I left ~ they graduated ~ moved on ~ college, married, children ~ and I knew nothing of all of it until FB brought us together again and involved me in a rather peripheral way in their lives once more. 

The memories their comments and photos bring back are delightful and poignant now. I want all of you to know how very special you were and are again to me. ~ with many blessings as you continue your journey

2 comments:

MikeC said...

I always envied the theater crowd in high school. I was part of the speech group, but they somehow seemed a notch above. And they did great work. I remember "Trojan Women" and "The Crucible." After I graduated I came back to see "Stop the World, I Want to Get Off." Always admired them.

Tahoe Mom said...

Mike and Appsrus, I realize I am late in saying thank you for commenting. As I was always a part of the theatre group, I appreciate the admiration. Thanks for all the understanding that goes into those two words. Grateful for you both.