Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Messy Business this Democracy Stuff


  1. re: the whole Chick-fil-A controversy. I was raised by a lawyer who really knew the Constitution. He taught me that my freedom of speech came with a proviso ~ consequences. The government could not jail me or kill me for what I said ~ And, I had to be prepared for others to speak the opposite, or refuse to meet with me or be my friend anymore or come to eat at my restaurant. Every side in this controversy has a right to say what they have said. They have a right to have their opinion no matter how distorted or wrong the other side thinks it is. And they have to understand there are consequences to free speech. So if you are still eating at Chick-fil-A, fine. If you are boycotting them, fine ~ and why don’t you go out and buy a Muppet movie or a Kermit puppet for your grandchild. We do “vote with our dollars” as they say. As much as I disagree with Chick-fil-A’s attitude and public stance, I have to defend their right to have it because that is what freedom of speech is all about. Democracy is hard, isn’t it?
2) I don’t like being blackmailed! Every so often along comes a FB post or email that is Always in a good cause that ends with something like “I know 90% of you won’t post this but blessings to the 1% that do.” I very rarely repost anything, humor, good cause, cute pet picture or whatever. I care about a lot of things ~ almost any horrific disease you can name; the state of the world; the blessings of Jesus; God; cute pets; kidnapped children; and on and on. And I do Not like someone telling me I don’t care if I don’t post the latest clever saying about any  of the above. *sigh* Mustn’t take this personally ~ democracy is hard, isn’t it?

No comments: