Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Graduation, June 2011

This weekend was grandson Joshua's high school graduation. It was wonderful as such occasions are. Most of that Friday was spent in family preparations. We had to be there an hour early for a rehearsal. We knew Joshua was his Class Representative and as such would be giving the student speech. We didn't know, and neither did he, that he also would be announcing the color guard and leading the Pledge of Allegiance.

I love this picture. He looks so distinguished and "official". I can understand why the formality of caps and gowns. Every student looks the same, with no indication of rich or poor, A's or C's, honors or barely passing. They are all handsome and beautiful. They have grown up and are starting into the wider world even if it is the still protected one of college.
Giving his speech. One of his classmates gave him the ultimate compliment for one student to give another: his speech makes me want to go out and do something important.
A very proud family. I was present at his birth, at home with a midwife. The sonogram had told us it was Joshua who was coming. We had talked to him and about him for the previous months and suddenly he was with us in person. The Amazing Joshua I would call him and raise his little arms above his head as he lay on my lap. Today he stands taller than I do and I find I depend on him and of course that he is still the Amazing Joshua. :D May all his classmates have the same love and pride surrounding them with which we surround Joshua.

No comments: