Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers' Day, 2011

The handsome man with the gentle smile peeking out from behind my lovely mom is my dad. :D I was once asked what it was like to be raised by a giant. He wasn't a giant to me ~ he was Daddy. Although he did cut quite a swath through my life.

Memories: waiting on the steps of the house until he appeared off the bus at the corner. Then I would run down the street toward him. He would set down his brief case and swing me up on his shoulders for the ride back home.

Learning to ride a bike and his holding on until I started pedaling, letting go and catching me before any damage was done. I don't remember how long it took until I just kept going.

Going outside early one afternoon and being very frightened when the chows across the street were let out of their yard. They had just looked in my direction when a car pulled up between me and them and who stepped out but Daddy, home early from the office and with a ride at that.

hmmmm - maybe I was raised by a giant. :)

Oh the memories go on and on of course. His pride in me and later in my children. His words of wisdom. Speaking to him twice by phone one day and ending both conversations with "I love you" and then having my step-mom call about an hour later to say he had died. He taught the same Sunday School class for 51 years and died on a Saturday with Sunday's lesson waiting on the desk to be polished and given the following morning.

He died 20 years ago and I miss him as much today as ever. Good Fathers' Day memories. ~ with blessings to all fathers everywhere, in whatever form you take. You are a blessing to those you love and mentor.

No comments: