Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day, 2011

Reflections:

~ snuggling in bed in the mornings tucked in close to my mom’s skin. I’m sure that’s why I still love to snuggle close.


~ being so scared of that “wolf” in the back yard, and mom, who could see there was no wolf, suggested I invite him into lunch. We laughed, sharing a joke against the whole world.


~ calling home from school in the middle of the day to see if anything had been heard about her surgery.


~ knowing she was feeling better when she was in the garden digging in the dirt.


~ coming home from school to find my picture of Dan missing from my bedside table and having her say, “he is up here. I just wanted to look at him for a while.”


~ feeling so lost after her death.


~ welcoming Mama Bear whose love surrounded me and knew how to let me be both my mother’s child and hers. She did that really, really well.


~ finally crying over my mother’s death the night of Michelle’s wedding when suddenly all the pain of lost times together came pouring in


~ and the day Michelle called to say she had been stung by a bee and had morning sickness on the same day and needed to talk to her mommy ~ and I couldn’t respond because I was crying over never getting to share like that with my mom.


~ enjoying her written statement on the back of the picture when I was 7 “Dean McKay comes over to play” and wondering what she thinks of my being married to him.


~ my joy that Meredith writes under mom’s name and has some how given me permission to bring her back


Happy Mother's Day, mom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not old enough to be my mother - you're about ten or twelve years older than me, I think. But you are enough older than me to give me motherly advice from time to time. And that I appreciate, since I lost my mother in 1989. Even if I don't think to tell you. So I'll take this opportunity to say thanks. Thank you!

Tahoe Mom said...

Oh, Mike ~ Thank You. How special. I am old enough to know that motherly advice can come from all sorts of folks at any age ~ and it is still wonderfully nice to be thought of in that way. ~ blessings