Friday, August 7, 2009

Old Leaves


We all grow older - from the moment of that first bawling breath out of the womb. I, however, have reached the age where I am growing old. Doctors and chiropractors look at me with eyes that question if they should be saying this and say, "As we grow older, . . . " The dental assistant even patted my shoulder one day.

Given all of that and the fact that at 66 I am in training for my first backpack trip, I was very taken by this quote from John Burroughs on the Save the Rainforest website.

How beautiful the leaves grow old.
How full of light and color are their last days.

I am not near my last days by any means. And as my hair continues to grey and my body does its "as we grow older" thing, I want to be like the leaves. I want my last days - oh, make that my days, every day - to be full of light and color. I want to grow old beautifully ~ and let that process start today. Today for All of us, regardless of age or hair color or anything else. Live a beautiful life, full of life and color ~ blessings

No comments: