Monday, August 25, 2008

Stars

When I was a little girl, I had a book called "Wait 'Til the Moon is Full" by Margaret Wise Brown. For some reason the book stayed around for reading to my own children and grandchildren ~ and the one line I have always remembered is the description of the new moon being "thin as the curve of a raccoon's whisker." About 2:30 this morning I stood on my deck and watched that moon peek at me from behind a pine tree. Overhead the black night was covered with starry brilliance from the thousands upon thousands of heavenly bodies that shine in the sky when there is no earthly ambient light to distract. The Milky Way really looks milky. The Big Dipper shines out from all those around it demanding by its very presence that we look and find the North Star by its guidance and know where we are. Some people say when we look up like that, we recognize how insignificant we are. When I look up like that, I recognize how absolutely amazing we are - to be part of that magnificent creation and be able to spread our wings upon that starry canvas and fly. Wow! Words are inadequate so I will end by saying, if you live where there is any chance to see the stars, do so. Lie back on the grass or your deck, look up and appreciate how amazing You are to be one with the Universe.  ~ blessings

No comments: