Thursday, August 21, 2008

Silence

Silence has an amazing quality of aliveness. Silence is not the absence of sound. Silence is . . . silence. Rich, textured, alive. 

For two weeks I have had a Very Good friend as a guest in my home. We have talked almost continuously. And we are good enough friends that we were able to be quiet with each other as well. Still, most of the time we talked. She left yesterday. Today the wonderful woman who comes every two weeks to help me clean was here - and we cleaned - and washed and dried - and chatted while we made beds. She had her delightful children with her and she talked to them and they talked and played. I have been working on logistics for an upcoming business session we are having here so D and I talked over lunch and my mind has been busy and I have been emailing folks to make sure we were all on the same page. And then cleaning was done and M left. The email was sent and several more answered. And suddenly there was . . . Silence. 

It descended like a gentle warm fog. It is wrapped around me like a wonderful comfortable cape. Even the clicking of the computer keys and the words coming through my fingers refuse to disturb the quality of the silence. Is it totally Quiet? No. There is still some noise: I can hear a voice, the whoosh of traffic on the road down the way, the breeze through the trees -- And, there is this silence that I am loathe to break - so no tv, no book, nothing but being for a while to restore and refresh the balance. Talking is Good. Busy is Good. Silence is Good. Take a little time and enjoy the richness of silence. Blessings -- 

3 comments:

Old Virginia said...

Tahoe Mom, I love your silence and the beautiful scenery, and wish we could have seen the hawk! Old Virginia

BostonPobble said...

What a great picture of you! :)

Tahoe Mom said...

Thanks - I thought it was fun and "felt" like me - :)