Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Reflections on Turning 76

So today I begin the last quarter of my first century. 

I put it that way on purpose because even though thoughts of my own mortality have been prominent over the last day or so, I have every intention of living for a while longer and possibly even seeing the first days of my second century. Who knows? I have a rich and long genetic history plus I am healthy and active and I eat well. And I love life. 

I am not afraid of death as long as it comes gently and without a lot of pain. My faith tells me there is Light and Love on the other side and I will enjoy whatever continuation my journey takes. What I will miss is life here and now. 

I love my family and want lots more time with them to attend graduations and weddings and soccer games and theatre performances; family dinners and special conversations; hugs and tears and laughter and fun.

I love the beach and because I live in the mountains, I need plenty of time to make it to the beach and enjoy the sun and sand and warm salt water. And because I live in the mountains, I need plenty of time to snowshoe and hike and enjoy the tiny wildlife that inhabit the area right off my deck in the summer. 

I am a business woman for the first time in my life. Our AirBnB experiment is going really well and we are meeting extraordinary people from all over the world. It really is a delight to be hosting in this way. 

I’m a reader - yes, mostly of cozy mysteries but also of history and theology  and other genres that catch my fancy. There are so many books and so little time as they say. I love to read and plan on doing so for a long while. 

And so it goes - life lived to its fullest. Sunrises and sunsets. Water and hills and mountains and trees. Family and friends and delightful people who come to stay and leave again. Clean sheets, indoor plumbing, anesthetics. And food ~ 

Chocolate: what a good way to celebrate this birthday. A delicious cookie from a friend last night. Cupcakes from a meeting I attended today. My grandson’s pudding (with whipped cream and a cherry on top) for dessert tonight. Fondue tomorrow night at another celebratory dinner with family. 


I am a very fortunate and blessed human being, grateful to be continuing this journey around the sun. Blessings to you too, my friends, as your journeys continue at whatever stage and age you are!

2 comments:

MikeC said...

Happy Birthday, Tahoe Mom! I have long thought of you as a mother figure, but you’re only ten-and-a-half years older than me, so that makes you more of an older sister. When I was growing up I had dreams of having an older sister to watch out for me. Thank you for watching out for me the way you have.

Hugs,
Mike

Tahoe Mom said...

Mike, you are very welcome to whatever relationship works for us. I have no siblings so being an older sister works Just Fine! One of these days we will have to meet in person and hug in person too!!