Friday, January 11, 2019

Navigating the DMV

In California if you are over 70 you have to take a written test to renew your driver’s license every 5 years. So off I went yesterday to take the test. I passed. License renewed. No problem. There were some things I noticed, however, that make me ponder. 

Yes, I had to take the test and I also had to fill out an application to take the test! oops. First I clicked on the wrong side of the screen so that took a while to adjust and get me started on actually filling out the form. Most of the questions are standard: name, age, height, weight.  

But let’s think about these for a moment: hair color ~ I have now gone from black to grey so no problem. They do have a place to check “other” and I guess that’s where my daughters and lots of young people would check and fill in neon green, purple, or electric pink. I’m not sure hair color is a solid identifier these days. 

Eye color: my color is there ~ hazel. Hmmm - what color is hazel? As far as I know eye color is the only place we use the word hazel for a color. I think I will paint the wall hazel. Nope. Doesn’t work. Other than eye color, I can only think of two other places the word is used: hazel nut and Hazel, a maid from an ancient cartoon and tv show. I have nice eyes. Evidently if the light is bright and my pupils very small, you can see gold around them ~ so nice eyes with an odd or unique color. 

Of course then I think of my college friend with the classic Irish look: red hair, pale skin and beautiful green eyes. Wow, she had amazing green eyes ~ and then I discovered she wore colored contacts. 

And finally there was the interesting question: have you ever applied for a license under a different name? Well, yes, when I was 16, 60 years ago! And that’s what they meant and wanted. Made me glad I hadn’t changed my name when I got married a second time. 


All in all it took me a lot longer to navigate the application than the test. In five years, I think I will fill out the application on line before I go. 

No comments: