Tuesday, October 4, 2016

I Really Can ~

Contrary to popular opinion, I can do housework. I don't like it and I can do it. While the sheets dried and the towels washed this morning, I mopped and cleaned the bathroom and swept the rest of the upstairs. Not much, not hard labor, and things look better, especially with a blowing coat dog in the house.

Back last summer I had my regular yearly checkup. Medicare pays for once-a-year wellness check and they want to know all sorts of things about you. I had a Huge long list of questions to answer and then when I got to the doctor's office, the nurse put me through another list.

Can you climb stairs?
Do you need help getting up or down out of a chair?

On and on the questions went and then she read this one:

Do you need help doing housework?

She and I looked at each other and burst out laughing. What a question to ask anybody!! Of Course - we all "need help" doing housework. If I had my druthers, I'd create a job by paying someone to do it for me. I have done that a lot in my life. I will do it again. Oh my - after the laughter subsided, I said very truthfully, no, I don't need help doing housework. *sigh* There was no woman on the committee who made up this list of questions.

2 comments:

MikeC said...

*sigh* Terry and I paid a company to do housework for us when we were both gainfully employed. That is something that we miss.

Tahoe Mom said...

I miss it too. I think we are back to being able to have someone at least once a month. In between I can do a pretty good job. Forever, I'm afraid I'm not cut out for.