Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Sadness of Silence

== a thought that has been recurring recently. I wish I could remember my mom’s voice. If necessary, I have tapes of Dad and Rex (mainly singing but that’s ok) so can access them. Mom died when I was 16 and I don’t remember her voice and that makes me sad. 

I believe Michelle even has a tape of her dad reading Dr. Seuss’s Oobleck for Joshua. Voices are so important. Another professor called Rex’s answering machine at the college one more time, just to hear his voice again after he heard of Rex’s death. When I was traveling so much, I told Rex we needed to change our answering machine to his voice so when I called home and he wasn’t there, I could at least hear his voice. He laughed and said that very week, he had listened to my message several times just to hear my voice. 

Voices tell us someone is close. Remember being a teen and not wanting to hang up the phone with your sweetheart because it would break that vocal connection and somehow separate you further? Even when we are touching another person, we like to hear their voice ~ think about sitting by the bed of someone coming out of surgery. You know they are fine, you are holding their hand, and you want them to wake so you can hear their voice. You answer the phone and someone says your name and you know who it is even though you haven’t heard that voice in years. 


Voices are important and death takes them away. And now I can’t remember, it makes me sad.  

No comments: