Monday, September 24, 2012

Silence ~ again


Father Kim wrote the other day about the positive power of (let’s call it) meditative silence ~ and the negative power of silence in the face of injustice, oppression and evil. For some reason that turned me to thinking about Noise. Right now, with all the political campaigning, there is a Lot of noise. Even good ideas, well said, are said at the tops of lungs or with the microphone on high. Hecklers try to speak louder than the person they came to heckle so that we can’t understand what either side is saying and certainly can’t comprehend the point being made. Protesters march, yell and demand. It is as if the louder we talk, the more likely our point is to be heard and made. Maybe so ~ and for me, it only makes me want to shut my ears and say, Be Quiet, all of you! 

I like positive silence. Silence gives me a chance to think, to contemplate, to find and be guided by wisdom. Words spoken quietly, decently, with respect allow me to hear and understand and maybe be convinced. Noise allows for none of this and simply makes me turn my back and head for a quiet space in which to be in silence. 

No comments: