Friday, June 1, 2012

New Bicycle




I really love the bike. I am doing well learning the gears. It was funny: the first time I rode it, I realized the bike I had been riding for 18 months is Stationary! The gears on my bike were set low so I really wobbled at first until I learned to shift so that I could take off without wobbling. When I read the manuel, it even used the word “wobble” - have your gears set so you can start without wobbling. :) 
I rode into the cul de sac this morning and shifted well coming up the hill although even using the proper gears, up hill was a little hard on the knee still. And the muscles are loosening and healing. Nevertheless, I only did the hill once. When my plans for the day changed suddenly, I thought about going to gym and decided against it. Having been three straight days and with power washing rugs tomorrow and the hill this morning, I decided some ice and some rest will be just the thing. 
My sons-in-law take good care of me. One of them was talking to my daughter about my bike when after a few thoughtful moments he asked, “Has your mom ever ridden a bike?” Daughter laughed and said, yes, I loved to ride. It was so sweet. And when we thought about it, he hasn’t been in the family long enough to have known my riding. I guess Dean might have bought me a bike out of the clear blue. As it is, Dean asked me about the new bike first and son-in-law made sure I really could ride it. Gratitude all around. 

3 comments:

Alex said...

Getting back on the bike after a long break can be tough. I made a conscious effort to start commuting by bike after not having ridden since I was a teenager. I had a few rough days in the beginning, but now I love it. So keep on riding!

Tahoe Mom said...

Thanks, Alex. I will. Glad to know I have folks in my cheering section.

Unknown said...

As I have said, wear your helmet and e careful with the aspirin! I have been back on a bike (a ten mile ride) and will be back on the trail in the mountains later this Summer.