Friday, April 19, 2019

Holy Week Humor

I'm not at all sure where I am going with these thoughts, and they make me smile so here they are.

Many of my pastor friends, from several denominations, have posted really wonderful deep reflections on the meaning of Holy Week and especially Good Friday on FaceBook. There have been pictures of lovely poignant altar settings and even videos allowing people who can't get to church a way to attend a Good Friday service. I have participated with my church in VA in a prayer vigil over the course of Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. For Christians, it is a time of personal and communal grounding in our faith.

On the other hand, some of these same pastors and active church people have posted delightful, down right funny cartoons and memes focused around the events of this week giving the seriousness of the occasion an ironic, humorous, sometimes even modern political twist.

I find both of these perspectives refreshing and helpful. I guess I believe that if we cannot laugh at that which moves us the most, then we have lost our sense of the spiritual. Jesus certainly had a sense of humor and I think it is important that we keep ours even in the face of our most profound beliefs. If you can laugh at what you hold dearest, then I am more likely to take your declaration of faith more seriously. Blessings to all of you ~ whatever your belief and whatever makes you smile.

No comments: