Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Driving Through Northern California

Lots of California is on fire and that includes the north. Although my drive home from Oregon was free of fire, there was lots of smoke. 

There are two kinds of fires: prescribed burns, set to control wild fires and wild fires, set by high winds, lightning, loose sparks of some kind. Both have one thing in common: smoke. I think I encountered both kinds today. Smoke hung low in the valleys and covered the tops of mountains. Signs said “Smoke ahead. Don’t report.” And so I just kept driving and no one coming toward me looked like they were having any problems. The eyes still itch and the breathing is still hard sometimes. 

Another observation: at one point I had on both my phone and my car GPS. They both told me to turn left. Now I have a horrible sense of direction - inherited from my father I understand. But I Knew - after all I had just come this way a week ago - that I was supposed to turn right. I pulled over and called Dean and told him my dilemma. He assured me that I was correct. And of course as soon as I made the right turn and drove a short way down the road, both GPSs adjusted. But what if I hadn’t known? It might not have been the wrong turn but it certainly would have been the long one. Sigh. 


Every time I make this trip, I think I have gotten too old and then I make it and I am fine and I cope with little quirks here and there and I have a grand time with my family and then make it home just fine. Grateful for two good trips. Continuing to pray for those who have lost homes and loved ones in the fires. ~ blessings on your journeys wherever they may take you. 

No comments: