Saturday, April 7, 2018

Time to Read Again


Once in a while, my soul tells me it is time to reread a favorite book. The time came this week for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. 

I have read it twice before and the first time wrote about it here. There is a man in the book ~ and in the Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ~ who read only Seneca. I can identify more with him now as I am once again enjoying this wonderful writing: wonderful writing about wonderful writing and wonderful reading about wonderful reading. Some times it is hard to realize the book is fiction and that these good folks weren't really there on Guernsey. My son-in-law has relatives living there now and through WWII and I want to talk to them about the book club and if any of their immediate ancestors were a part of it. 

In case you need to know, the Society was formed when the Germans occupied Guernsey during WWII and became a way to keep the folks sane and living through the occupation. This is a gem of a book and if it is new to you, find it, please, and take pleasure in the delightful, well-written story that just may call you back again and again.

2 comments:

Wes Morgan said...

Thanks, Susan -- this is wonder-full!

Tahoe Mom said...

Bless you, Wes. Most of the time you will read about grandchildren but once in a while I post about books or veer into politics. I hope you continue to stop by and enjoy.