Tuesday, September 26, 2017

I Kneel

I have been trying to decide what is in my heart around this “kneeling during the national anthem” controversy. I had just about given up trying to find the right words when they were said for me. Representative Sheila Jackson (D-Texas) knelt in Congress with these words:

“I kneel in front of the flag and on this floor, I kneel in honor of the First Amendment, I kneel because the flag is a symbol for freedom, I kneel because I am going to stand against racism, I kneel because I will stand with those young men and I’ll stand with our soldiers and I’ll stand with America because I kneel.”


Thank you, Congresswoman Jackson! This 74 year old white woman kneels with you. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is beautiful and a wonderful sentiment. Thank you for sharing it!

Tahoe Mom said...

She said what was in my heart, but had not yet made it to my lips or pen.