Thursday, March 22, 2012

Divine Mystery

I have two dear friends who are 90. One is a cousin. One was a special friend of my parents and was with us the day my mother died. Both remember when I was born. I am thrilled and comforted by their continuing presence in my life though neither of them has a very good short term memory. They are more likely to remember who I was as a child rather than know who I am as an adult today. I would like to think of them around forever but that is not the way the world works and so I wonder about the divine, mysterious big picture that still has them here. They are in poor physical health ~ one never getting out of her wheelchair. They hardly remember the second before although they do have flashes of the past. This is especially hard on their children who live at a distance and yet try to stay in touch, visit when they can and are aware there is nothing they can really do. All any of us can do is trust in the Divine mystery of life and death, of loving power and let it be. For now, I am grateful for both of them as I always will be.


No comments: