Monday, October 10, 2011

Totally Missed Communication

Once in a while two people totally miss each other in conversation. Some times it is very serious. And some times it is just silly ~ as in:


Me: You and D could have chili for lunch here today and I have a massage and won’t be around to make rice so you had better go out.


Dean: I don’t want to eat lunch out after eating out for breakfast. If the pressure cooker is clean, we can have rice in three minutes.


Me: That’s true. OK - I’ll have everything ready for you.


Later that morning - shortly after 11:


Me: I have everything set for you. All you have to do is turn on the heat under the chili and make the rice.


Dean looks at me strangely and sort of nods.


I head for my massage saying : or you can wait for me if you want to.


Get massage. I have heard Dean come upstairs. Sounds like only one set of foot steps and no talking but I don’t think anything about it. Come upstairs myself. Look around.


Me: Has D gone?


Dean: Yes.


Me: Did he eat lunch?


Dean: No - he was here for breakfast. He left about 11.


Whoa! No wonder Dean looked at me strangely shortly after 11. He thought it nice though that I had set such a nice table and had everything ready for us to have lunch. He even saved a little rice for me and when I got my own chili mac out of the fridge, he finished up the rice. I thought D would be here all day - at least through lunch so I had set everything so they could eat at home and Dean could prepare it with ease.


All you can do is shake your head, laugh and be Very Grateful that the total miscommunication was only over who was going to be seated at the lunch table and not over something more serious.

No comments: