Friday, August 5, 2011

"On October 18, a raw, gloomy Wednesday, a congressional committee of three, including Benjamin Franklin, gathered by a roaring fire in Washington's study and, after lengthy deliberations with the commander and his generals, concluded that if an attack on Boston meant the destruction of the town, they could not approve."

In honor of National Book Week, I turned to page 56 of the closest book, found the 5th sentence and discovered it was much too long to post on FB. It is actually the first paragraph of this section of the book. I know we don't have to name the book, and does it surprise you to know that I am reading David McCullough's 1776? I am also reading a mystery and this one was on the top when I came across a friend's post on FB. After I have completed the book, I will write a book blog about it. I am really enjoying it. For now - yay for National Book Week!

2 comments:

Grandma Carol said...

I love all of David McCullough's books. I'm waiting for my turn at the library for 'The greater journey : Americans in Paris'

Tahoe Mom said...

Carol, I do too - and just saw a PBS special on Abraham and Mary Lincoln that he narrated ~ so he talks the story as well as writes it. I am looking forward to The Greater Journey as well.