Sunday, May 23, 2010

Happy Birthday, Margaret!

Today is the birthday of Margaret Wise Brown, author of Goodnight Moon. She also wrote my all time favorite children's book, Wait 'Til the Moon is Full. I still have my childhood copy and read it to my grandchildren. I have also found it once in a while in a bookstore and given it to a child.

It is the story of a little raccoon who wants to go out and play and mom raccoon keeps saying those words, "wait 'til the moon is full." She also relates the size of the moon throughout the month. One simile is perfect - and you have seen this moon - the moon is "as thin as the curve of a raccoon's whisker."

I learned in the article I read this morning that Margaret Wise Brown died when she was only 42. And in that short period of time she wrote nearly 100 books celebrating the gentleness and wonder of children. You brought and continue to bring a lot of joy into the world, Margaret. Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Tahoe Mom said...

Thank you. Glad you like it.