Monday, May 3, 2010

Birthday dinners I have known

Last night I shared in a birthday dinner for my oldest daughter. We had chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and lima beans. This has been her preferred birthday dinner since she was 13 and I was the one frying the steak. Last night she did it herself and it was Wonderful. She has become quite the cook over the years and everything was Yummy.

My first husband wanted to serve stewed tomatoes on his 13th birthday. His mom was horrified. You can't serve stewed tomatoes to 13 year old boys!! And, she did - because that's what he wanted.

Not sure what there is about 13 and I believe it was her 13th when my other daughter saw a "Three Chocolate Bombe" on the front of Gourmet Magazine and said that's what she wanted for her birthday dessert. Wow. I did it. And I have never done it again. Not only was it 3 chocolate, it took three days to make. Back then I think it was the first time I had ever seen a recipe that called for unsalted butter. (The things we remember).

My uncle's birthday was on Christmas day so on Christmas eve my aunt would have a family gathering with cake and egg nog. The cake had white icing and around the edges and side she placed boxwood leaves. Little tiny green leaves. I've never researched if boxwood leaves are poisonous. Doesn't matter. We all survived and loved the cake.

Cake takes a big place in a birthday celebration of course. I am not a cake baker so my daughters usually had store bought cakes - or a three chocolate bombe. My husband likes carrot cake. Our wedding cake and all his birthday cakes are carrot cakes.

And suddenly I am remembering one other birthday dinner. My 25th. We went to a restaurant we really liked and didn't get to often because of the prices. Saved up, got a sitter, went to celebrate. I have No idea what we ate. What I remember is - I was carded. Asked for my ID when I ordered a drink. I had no ID - I had come out without my purse on purpose. We had been to the restaurant before. I was 25, married 7 years, had a child. I had No Thought that I might be asked for an ID. All I could do was laugh and drink water and iced tea. Back then, that was a Real compliment and I was glad to accept it as my unexpected present at one of the birthday dinners I have known. ~ blessings

1 comment: