Monday, December 14, 2009

Good Wishes

There are some in the conservative media who are upset because there are retailers, sales clerks and others who do not wish them Merry Christmas. They believe Happy Holidays or anything else is opting for being politically correct. Bah, humbug!

When I was little I always wondered how people wishing me Merry Christmas knew I was Christian and not Jewish. When people wished me a Happy Holiday, I always smiled and answered back. From my 66 year perspective on life let me tell you, if someone wishes me a heartfelt greeting this time of year, I take it with delight.

I lived for over 25 years in a town with one of the most conservative churches in the country. And because I attended a much more liberal congregation, people from the other church were always saying they would pray for me. I always replied "Thank you and I will pray for you." If someone wanted to pray for me - lift my life to the God of their choice - I accepted it. Perhaps they did pray that I change my liberal ways. Didn't matter. God knows me and is going to offer me the gifts that I need to be the person God intended me to be.

Whatever the words you are offered this time of year, whatever the reason and meaning behind them, I hope you will smile and offer back a sincere and caring greeting of your own. It is a hard economic time. Stores are still crowded and sales clerks hassled. You may be feeling edgy and wishing you had more to spend. The Spirit of Light and Hope, Peace and Love that permeates all spirituality at this season is more important to impart to each other than any argument over the words we use to convey that Spirit. ~ with blessings

No comments: